Travelling in Chennai's Autos and Share Autos

Some time back quarter life crisis came calling and I took many impulse decisions! I quit the magazine, got a new job, got new projects, scheduling workshops and such stuff. I also reduced my work hours and took a decision not to work on weekends. Realized that its simply not worth it. Also a close brush with a probable Cancer Diagnosis 2 months back helped me to take this decision. (But that's fodder for yet another post)

Before launching into the post, I am conducting a Basic Photography workshop for Hobby Photographers on 6th & 7th August, 2011 at & Studios. Details here. Interested people do attend!

Anyway coming to the post, due to my job change my daily schedule has changed immensely. I have quit taking buses and switched to autos/share autos. Mainly because of the longish commute time in bus. (auto takes half the actual time in this route). So here is my 2 cents about the terror ride aka Autos of Chennai.

From time immortal Chennai auto-drivers are known to take you for a ride quite literally. I strongly believe that these drivers have these strong notion of "7th Sense" which makes them sense how rich you are. Someone said "Dogs can smell fear". I am afraid Auto-drivers can smell urgency.  The route which I take regularly costs me around Rs. 40 (or 50, if it rains). One day I had missed an appointment and had to rush. I did my best not to show my urgency but still it cost me Rs. 120. @#$#%% The driver had a gall to ask me extra 20 bucks when I reached the destination stating mumbo-jumbo of reasons. I has in a hurry and in no mood to argue. Anyways, I just ran away and didn't pay anything more, but that's a different story.

Don't let the auto-driver know how unsure you are about the location. As far as I know, every mobile has GPRS connection now (Don't get me into GSM, EDGE, 3G and all such stuff now!) Just Google the approximate location. For example, If you have to go somewhere in Kodambakkam, Google a bit. Be confident and say you have to reach Sekhar Emporium.  If you think he is saying exorbitant price, just say "What brother?? I take that route 4 times daily. I pay only 40 rupees". Seriously, most folks relent to it :-P If you don't have a mobile or any connectivity, ask around. People ARE helpful!!

Always ask how much they are going to charge before getting into the auto. I luckily learnt this lesson in my very first week in Chennai. I was still in college and had to reach Guindy Railway station. I hired an auto without asking about the cost. Bleddy he looted Rs.70 for an otherwise 20 rupee ride. His reason, "Madam. I have driven 7 kms. 1 km is 10 rupees. Better pay up or i ll hit you". :-\ And in another instance the driver actually hit me for not giving him extra 10 bucks. :-(

No matter how much greedy they are, I have always found Chennai auto-drivers to be very helpful. (Except some, may be) I have heard cases of auto-drivers driving single woman into lonely lanes and having their way with them in Bangalore and Delhi. Have actually heard a recount of a college senior who went through such a harrowing experience but escaped, thanks to her presence of mind. She just RAN at break-neck speed!! :) But I haven't heard of such incidents in Chennai. Correct me if I am wrong. According to my personal experiences, I have always found auto-drivers very helpful and some even making sure I reach home safely, in case I am hiring an auto pretty late in night. Couple of instances I have even seen them helping with my camera gear if I am carrying any, even without asking.

To me share autos are the safe bet. Though they don't ply in all the routes, they do run in some of the busiest routes and sometimes where buses are scarce. The prices are pretty cheap. Starting from Rs.5, they highest one charges is Rs.20. And they will ply even if you are the only one onboard. Ok, may be they will dilly-dally a bit at the stops but they won't make you disastrously late.

Share autos are my safe option when I don't know the route exactly. I get on one and ask the people or the driver himself. And mostly some or the other will point me in the right direction. And most times I have the funniest conversation in these share autos. I leave you with couple of anecdotes.

Random lady: Oh god! Your lips are pink!
Me: Ummm is that a crime??
RL: Oh no. They are just umm kissable. Can I borrow your lipstick?
Me: *facepalm*
By now, the other fellow male passenger was laughing maniacally. And no, I don't use any cosmetics.  

Random guy: Nice boyfriend haan?
Me: Excuse me??
RG: Oh you are glued to your mobile since you got into the auto. Thought you are texting someone.
Me: Oh no! I am just tweeting.
RG: Oh what is that??
Me: (He looks like a software guy so...) It is like blogging. Just a shorter version of that.
RG: Aah nice. Then you should blog about this auto-ride and me!! hehehehe
Me: Yeah Rite!!

Oh wait!!!!


7 comments:

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan said...

reminds me of the times i used to go by auto..oh wait..nothings really changed :)
but its much safer here definitely... cant compare with the rates ur quoting or the insecurity of a Delhi

Rohan said...

Autodrivers do have 7 or 8 senses.. When we were doing 1st year they used to loot us. Given the fact that we are in a different state and with no knowledge about the localities certainly helped them! But things are pretty much the same, only that v prefer buses now!!

Ratzzz said...

Doctor:

As far as i know, chennai is really safe. but the greediness is their downfall

Ratzzz said...

Rohan

hahaha.. i prefer buses too. They are one major hub of activity.

:)

R's Mom said...

Hey whats with the health scare...everything fine na?

Autos..aiyo dont even start on autos in Chennai..my dad has been brought up in Chennai he was there till he did his MS from there..and even now when we go there...(I am 29) I shudder with dad because he WILL get into a fight with them...how he manages I have no clue..but as soon as the train gets into Chennai station he is a changed man...

and the conversations heheheh :) so funny

Aarti said...

An auto guy hit you??? chinna ponna poi adichana... anniyayam...

I can write a book on auto rides... some are absolutely amazing while others are narrow escapes from death... :) travelled by share auto once or twice, they dont ply in my area... :/

Georgy Abraham said...

Hey...While doing an internship @ Chennai we were doing the same gps trick to save the purse !
If TN auto driver earns in this pace he can buy another auto in a couple of months !!
Share auto ki jai...