Musings of a Chennai Ponnu...

Who am i??

i usually take a walk from Chetpet station to my office near Egmore every morning.. this makes up my dose of exercises daily... in the process i have to cross a slum settlement with loads of chapels and small shrines... last week there was some function going on there along with distribution of food packets by the localites... some young guys were re-directing vehicles and people to take a different route as this was a sacred function... to my amusement, they let me pass through saying "Dei Machan andha ponnu christian da.. vidu pottum" (hey, Brother-in-law.. That girl is a Christian..let her go)

I was wondering when did they get me converted when i noticed the guy pointing at my rather hefty gothic Crucifix,that i was wearing as a pendant... like duh!! what they missed to notice was a prominent and a Crescent hanging from my charm bracelet... duh!!
why this preference to one's religion and community... i dont understand this at all... i keep wondering...

Inflation Ba!!

I dunno how many Adyar ppl know, but there is this parallel shop besides Adyar Bakery aka Shakes n Creams.. practically situated at the parking area of Adyar bakery this quaint little shop churns out awesome vadas, cutlets, pakoras, bhajjis and such things...

during my college time, i used to throng this place every evening.. and they had started only during my second year of college... i was all nostalgic and stopped by there yday.. i handed out a ten rupee note and asked them to pack a couple of cutlets... the guy took a look at me and my note and said "Velai eri romba masam aaradhu ma.. innum rendu rooba kodu" (its months since the price rose.. give me two more rupees)...


I asked why the price hike and got the cliched reply "Inflation ba" (inflation dear)

Metro Train:

 Early morning also sees me taking our own "Metro" train to Chetpet... Its an experience in itself, i say... by any chance if i miss the 7 15 local then its surely a hell ride for me.. right from being jostled from one corner to the other, being spewed at with a volley of bad words (thankfully i dont understand much), being stamped and trampled, huh its worse than hell...

but i get to meet special "Specimens" only here... once by mistake i climbed into a general compartment... there was this guy staring at me all through the journey and doing antics to get my attention.. i purposely was looking at the other direction.. this happened till i was about to get down... as i got down, that specimen came close near and muttered something like "Look at me please... i have a bet with my friend " or something to that effect... i burst out laughing... ha ha ha.. needless to say he lost his bet... :-P i know, i am evil...

Street Photography:

I have taken to street photography too much these days.. apart from the group walk at Mint Street on 22nd Aug and Pondy Bazaar walk  on 30th Aug, i always tend to indulge in some clicks if and when i see something curious..

it so happens that there is this temple festival near my place.. they had arranged this big Amman  paper mache statue and several small god statues... i started clicking them yday as i passed it, and to my amusement there were these random strangers who wanted me to click pics of them along with these "gods".. they took a look at the pics and said "you take pics nicely" or something to that effect and left... they didnt even bother to ask if they will get a copy.. they just wanted to be photographed...

like how narcissistic can we become!!!

Talking about Narcissism, i have to mention a certain thick-head thick friend of mine, Vasu... if u take the pain to notice, i have posted my awards from fellow bloggers in the side bar as sticky notes... the idea was originally Vasu's.. naturally he wanted his 15 minutes of Fame..

the actual transcript of our chat:

me: i stole ur ideas of sticky notes
Vasu: a lot of my ideas get copied.. so no probs. u can use it :)
me: poda poda
Vasu: oi! put up a thnx for me too for d idea :P
me: inna? ok ok..alpame... ll do that in the next post
Vasu: :D i also need publicity.  i am stil single.  :P
me: tho da....  i am gonna copy these exact lines.... revenge revenge :P
Vasu: it wil only give me more publicity :D
me: ha ha ha..
 
:P Should i say anything more, you single girls??? off u go to his page... incidentally our darling is an Aerospace engineer (from MIT) , pursuing his MBA at NITIE, Mumbai... the  doofus also stood first in his CAT exams, i think... and has several awards to his name.... and yeah he worked with Infosys for a couple of years too :P

(revenge revenge.. i pictured u as a Geek, Vasu.. muwaha ha ha ha ha ha)

 P.S # i am off to hang out with DV, Soph and Aru at Citi-center.. meet you later guys...

34 comments:

enchantinganki said...

bas..mauj karo vaha..hame bhul jao :-|

street photus..show some..!!

Anonymous said...

I like geeks! ;)

Vasu said...

I AM a Geek and a proud one an that :D
Geeks rock man... big time!
Wait till we conquer the world :P
I am planning to make a T shirt with the text "Let there by Geeks... ;)"

Keshi said...

Rat hey I luv ya! Came to tell u that :)

tnxx for all the love n care over the last few weeks. u r special. Always know that.

*HUGZ* TC
Keshi.

Saim said...

Life's fun:)
or perhaps u dun give it a choice which I suppose is even better!!!

Ratzzz said...

@ anki

mein kaise tum logon ko bhul sakthi hoon yaar.. ho hi nahi saktha..

will mail u the picasa link dear

Ratzzz said...

@ Swathi

ahem ahem.. Vasu is in twitter too :P ll send u his twitter handle :P

Ratzzz said...

@ vasu

oink... the above lady likes u.. go follow her blog, go go

Ratzzz said...

@ kesh girl

hey dear... ((hugzz)) love ya too ma..

take care... ll keep a check on u always

Ratzzz said...

@ saim

life's too short that it is cruel not to be spent enjoying it... :-)

take care Saim

Satish N said...

You and your writings are seriously tempting me to quit my job and come to chennai :(((( I miss that heavenly place every minute of my life. Nallaa irunga ... avalothaan solla mudiyum :p

Unknown said...

Your posts always make me nostalgic Bhagi and make me miss chennai! Lovely read!

Akilan said...

oh vasu... :P

Poshin_david said...

Remember mate Geeks shall one day rule the world.......but thank god that's still far away........

How do we know said...

And Vasu will only talk to singles??? Boo hoo hooo!! ;-)

Beauty and the BEast said...

LOL!! loved ur chat session and self-proclaimed admissions of the narcissistic self :P

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Hey...

few realizations...

One thing, i thought u were a guy :P

now i see that u r a girl...:D

i simpley liked this spice filled post....

i have planned to visit chennai some day :)

drop in my blog to let me know few good places to hang out there...

Its sort of date out there..so u know :p


been busy, so couldnt make out much..
Cheers

Anonymous said...

What a delightful post :) You were evil to not let that poor guy win a bet :)
And you wear Om, crescent and cross !? Wow!

Anonymous said...

And I have also experienced this love we have for being photographed :) Some people just spot a camera and start preening :)

Ratzzz said...

@ sat...

whose stopping u mama... ditch ur USA trip and come to chennai.. or even better lets swap :P

Ratzzz said...

@ divi..

:-) Aadi naane 2-3 years kalichi chennai thirumbi vandu iruken.. by the by ur posts make me hungry, adhukku enna solra??

Ratzzz said...

@ aki

ah.. vasu!!

Ratzzz said...

@ David...

hey who says otherwise, given i am a geek myself :P

Ratzzz said...

@ HDWK

ha haha..no madamji.. go ahead.. talk to him... he wont say a no, not after being threatened by yours truly with knives and guns :P

Ratzzz said...

@ Beauty and the beast

:-) ha haha.. my chat sessions are that peppy :P

thanks though mate

Ratzzz said...

@ mahesh..

lolzz... thats wat first timers think abt me... thank god u didnt think i am gay :P

date?? hmmmm first confirm when u come over here, then i ll let u know of hangout zones of that season :P

Ratzzz said...

@IHM

he hehe... i am that evil.. i purposely do these things to guys, very often..

and yeah.. i wear all three.. and i trying to get more religious symbols as charms and pendants...

Ratzzz said...

@ IHM

yeah... they really amuse me..

and there are also ppl who take cover once i take out my cam... Duh my doggie who wont pose for me.. :(( :P

sri said...

i feel nostalgic looking at the crisp friend cutlets :( i wanna go home now!!

Ratzzz said...

@ srivats

ouch.. come over :)

Satanic Angel said...

i read ur posts regularly :)..ur writings remind me of my all time favorite writer rk narayan..dude! its a biig compliment :D

Ratzzz said...

@satanic angel...

hey angel, thanks in loads.. but plz, RK Narayan is god and i am his plain devotee.. :-) i adore him very much dear


thanks though again, happy u are finding my words worthy enuf to read regularly

Ashok K. Banker said...

I'll take four cutlets. Here's four rupees extra. And more ketchup too! You write tasty! :-)

Ratzzz said...

@ashokji

and u comment tasty...

n no ketchup.. this is a small roadside shop.. they just pack the stuff.. no sit and eat option available...