The Great Indian chuk-chuk-chuk

So how many of u make those unplanned journeys.... the one which involves no reserved flight/train/bus arrangements, no proper food alternatives and no proper accomodation at the destination???? well once in a while everyone would have been-there-done-that... but let me introduce you to the specimen who makes unplanned journey everytime... yes i mean everytime... well as you may have well guessed by now thats none other than yours truly....

its just that, it happens so.. i remember one journey i planned elaborately in 2007.. i got all the tickets, accomodation and everything down to T, only to cancel it the day before the journey... Poof... the other time i had a proper arrangement for a two day journey, only to miss the train by 5 mins and take the next train- unreserved general compartment... :-(

not that i regret my trips... Travelling in general compartments can be an experiance on its own... once during a leg of journey between Kolkatta and Guwahati, i learnt the following things.
  • yup, Love can bud during these overnight journeys, esp between a guy aged 60 and a female aged 50... and the female in question 'll always save the seat if the guy needs to stretch and the best portion of aloo-poori.. poor me, not even a flying mosquito looked in my direction
  • Peanuts are also called as Badam...
  • The electronic items sold in such trains are longer to last than the branded ones you buy at authentic e-malls with guarantee period
  • However you try to sleep, you ll be awakened by the person next to you to announce the up-coming station
  • the Surprise Birthday Cake you receive in such crowded compartments is the sweetest.. :-D
  • Everyone smokes irrespective of the "No Smoking" sign and closed windows, hence no air circulation.. believe me , i thought i ll die with lung cancer the next morning..
  • and Finally if you sit at a single place just because you dont want to give up the corner seat, your legs are bound to resemble an Elephant's leg by morning..
During college, i tried to travel from college to home atleast twice a year... tried is the best word... i made only 6 trips during my whole of 4 years of engineering... it so happened, i had to make succesive trips with in 2 months... holy moly, a lady who recognized me from the first trip saved a nice seat for me during the next trip... love that lady... :-D she even defended me when some random crack nut claimed that i was sitting in her seat... :P

the recent trips have all been unplanned except for the Indore - Chennai trip... i was used to general compartment and its eccentric crowd largely... so you just have to imagine my agony when i asked to board a luggage van by the TTR... Like hell... even then all was well until a gang of Gypsies entered thae same.... ever heard of the term Non-Stop nonsense.. they just gave it a new meaning.. and all the chatter-patter by my lil sista seemed so quite to me... sheesh...

i remember the first trip home from Indore.. i planned to surprise my mom for Diwali... only thing was i got surprised since all vehicles aka bus/taxi/auto/tempo had stopped runnin on the same day... Poor me atlast i reached the place, Udumalpet i think, only to realise i have never been to this town... my folks had transferred while i was lounging in Indore... i just roamed around the town in a friendly auto, which i hired after a looooong story... Was saved by the blanket mom had left outside to dry... Phew.....

So ... i Love the great Indian railways... wat are your experiances...

P.S # All is well.. i am at the end of my inner journey
P.P.S # The Yercaud trip got postponed.. thanks to a nosey sister... :(
P.P.P.S # i am reading all your blogs though i commented in none.. i ll make it upto you dearies... :-)

'Ta

32 comments:

How do we know said...

VERY NICE TEMPLATE. and am glad u r back.. the strawberried on the side look totally delicious!

Satish N said...

Looks like you are a globetrotter dude. May you get more opps to run around the globe.

WritingsForLife said...

interesting but i feel blessed to be living in the states where we dont have to worry about fighting for a seat neither are there people who would smoke with windows closed. :-)

Mampi said...

Like the changed look. THe earlier template made me feel repeatedly that I had missed a lot on this blog.This one, however is deliciously sweet.

Keshi said...

Fresh template! I like it :) The previous one was not all that Keshi-friendly hehehe...

seems like the travel bug has bitten Rat on a very serious note! Im glad ur trotting ard...it's fun isnt it. But I did miss ya!

And u still managed to say HI...and that means alot to me :)

Keshi.

Cяystal said...

Cute cherry template..very red! =D
And I <3 trains as well!!..you can have the best experiences ! =)
Love stories on trains?..lool!
Btw..have fun travelling !

Anonymous said...

i love train travel. especially without ticket travel... sitting near the kakkoos and travelling

Akilan said...

stand up, about turn. Now turn your body and say 'I'm Back'. :P

I wanna eat strawberries.. :) i love strawberry flavored ice cream, milkshake etc though I've never eaten a real fruit. :(

vijay said...

new template look... I feel hungry looking ur template :)) hope u having good introspection time... ;)

Ramya Shankar said...

I was about to say -
On a different note, your template looks yummy! But looks like everyone who commented has mentioned that!
So yeah. . . blah out!

Dheeraj Suthar said...

Hi Rat,
Me too will be taking this chuk-chuk for goin' to Warangal..(got selected in NIT for MCA.. :)). Hope won't be same like that I took to Puna last week. No confrm reservation.. had to sit on floor next to toilet... :(
Wished to meet u indore bloggers once before shiftin'. n yeah I have changed my website (dheerajsuthar.com).
tc,
Dheeraj Suthar
aka Sher Khan

Vasu said...

my dear diametric opposite in this respect :) I want everything to be perfectly planned and everything to go perfectly according to the perfect plan. i do have taken a few risks but only for journeys less than 12 hrs

And reg the template... PINK?!?!? :O ovak... personal opinion. :)

Ramya Shankar said...

Oh personal experiences I forgot !
I've been blessed by parents who don't trust me alone in trains for some strange reason! sigh!

Ratzzz said...

@ hdwk...

thanks dear....

yeah i took time to design my own page this time.... strawberries coz i love thm...

Ratzzz said...

@satish..

thanks yaar... i love travelling...

Ratzzz said...

@RAaji..

Bah.. RAt mutters "these NRIs.. wat do they know abt d rich experiance of such travels...

How are u raaji?? :D

Ratzzz said...

@ Maampi...

haha ha ha.. the previous look suited my rustic nature homie.... this one is little too naughty for me... :P

Ratzzz said...

@ Keshi...

lolzzz... i am at home now... ll let u know if i trot off again...

and yeah Keshi, u are one of those few whose blog url i know like my name... ;-) missed ya tooo

Ratzzz said...

@ Crystal..

thanks dear.. missed u loads...

Ratzzz said...

@ Chriz...


lolzzz... yeah rite...

Ratzzz said...

@ Aki..

I'm Back!!... Happy??

come over.. i ll get u a box of those lucious fruits...

:-)

Ratzzz said...

@ vijay...

introspection... i m having retrospection too..lolzzz...


wen is ur engagement by d way dear???

Ratzzz said...

@ Ramya...

ha h a haha...

yeah but i loved ur blog design than the previous black n white tempy...

Ratzzz said...

@ Sherkhan...

hey... wr are u??? missed u and maithili.... tot i cudmeet u at the last bloggers meet at indore.. but u didnt turn up...

anyways keep in touch pal...

Ratzzz said...

@ Vasu....

yeah yeah.. i know...

and pink??? are u color blind??? berries are REd....

Ratzzz said...

@ Ramya


ummm.. who said i reveal abt this trips to parents... :-D to them it is just that i took the train/bus never the details :-)

Vasu said...

yeah... watever :P

Ratzzz said...

@ Vasu...

shoo.. go away...

Anonymous said...

I am able to make link exchange with HIGH pr pages on related keywords like [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com]bad credit loans[/url] and other financial keywords.
My web page is www.usainstantpayday.com

If your page is important contact me.
please only good pages, wih PR>2 and related to financial keywords
Thanks
dertiacledial

Anonymous said...

I want to thank the blogger very much not only for this post but also for his all previous efforts. I found www.tantrumzz.com to be greatly interesting. I will be coming back to www.tantrumzz.com for more information.

zephyr said...

Love your observations! They are so down to earth!

I used to crib abut the kids not coming home as often as some of their hostel-mates did till I read your post! Thanks for helping dispel my complex about being a dragon mother who kept away her kids!

Unplanned journeys can be harrowing. I remember once getting into the train with my older son,a toddler then, armed with just a platform ticket(L&M's brilliant idea since there was no time to get a proper ticket) I plonked the kid on someone's lap and ran the length and breadth of the train behind every black-coated figure till one of them gave up his own berth to me in disgust!

Write more Ratzzz. I am your fan!

Unknown said...

Quite a tantrum, I'd agree, to answer the question how to tighten skin this post was helpful.