The Return of Killer Vadas!

Whenever I move away from a place, more than the place or the people I miss the food there... when I left Chennai few years back, i missed Sambar Sadam/Bisibelabath and Sambar vada more than anything else.. and full meals too.. missed them so much that when I landed back in Chennai a year ago, I promptly hit a Saravana Bhavan and ordered Sambar Sadam, Yummm Slurp!!

So you can see what I would be missing now! Yup the street food of Indore... Indore was the city which made me a glutton... The Chappan Bhog with its 56 shops of different delicacies and the Sarafa market (which is ideally a jewelry mart that transforms into a food bazaar post 9 pm) are dedicated for food and food only...

Dal baati is one heavy food that has to be reserved for Sundays and Holidays...  Made of Dal, I ate this first at a Sai Temple, I had the habit of visiting for my Reiki treatment... it was served with lemon, some chutney, dal, onions and something else..  was so full that I slept in the car by the time i reached home :-|

Ghamandi lassi takes the punjabi lassi to a totally different level... Butte ka kiss is a kiss of a parallel world... This is a part of India which wakes up to Hot Jilebi and soft Poha... Johnny's hot dog at the Chappan dhukan may be just bun and patties but they are so crisp and lovely, you will end up ordering more than enough... trust me i always did...

This was the first place I had "Mitha Samosa" that too by mistake, a sweet mistake nevertheless... Garadu is just yam cut into small pieces, fried and served with lemon and spices... Just pop in a piece and there will be myriad number of tastes popping in your mouth... Mithe Tukade is a fried bread slice served with generous helping of dry fruits and cream, Yumm!!

When I got back from office, I usually took a walk from the main market to my house buying vegetables, stuff and stopping especially for a plate of Paani pathasa (paani poori for you lesser mortals), Aloo kachori and sometimes a bite of Khaman...

If its saturday, my weekly off, I will walk over to Apna sweets for a Lunch Thali...  for 80 bucks you get 5 pooris or rotis, chola, dal tadka, dal makhani, rice, pulao, 2 sabjis, 2 rasgullas, papad, pickle, onions, lassi and dahi.... yumm slurp!!

Sigh... anyhow, this is also the city which showed me Sago/Javvarisi is not just for payasam, payasa or kheer... they make umpteen number of dishes with a handful of Sago... Sabudhana khichdi is to die for and my personal favorite is Sabudhana Vada... So imagine my delight when mom left a pack of Sago during her last visit... :-D

I got into the act of finding the recipe and gathering the ingredients... very simple to make and Ta-DA..


A bowl of soaked Sago, grated potatoes, finely diced onions, rice flour, green chillies and some chaat masala.. mix them all, make them into balls and deep fry them... voila!!


 I can go back to Indore just to eat all day :-D Sigh, how i miss the Dark chocolate pastries of Fantasy and  a nice plate of chat at Khajuri Bazaar!!

15 comments:

Dr Roshan Radhakrishnan said...

that yam samosa thingy sounds yummy to me...

I dont know.. For some reason, pune's local cuisine was never a big hit with me while i was der... Coming back here to kerala, really enjoying the variety of foods.

enchantinganki said...

Come and see! Indore is also missing u :-) How did u forgot to mention poha-jalebi btw??

I will refer this post to every person in my office who asks me about specialty of Indore!!

Yumm post :D

R's Mom said...

What a Yummy Post :)

Vasu said...

Vada poche... :P :D

Ratzzz said...

@Rosh...

Doc... you wr never big on the local cuisine.. you were always at KFC, McD or that Barbeque nation restro :D

and yeah that is yummy :)

Ratzzz said...

@anki

darling, post poora nahi pada kya??

/This is a part of India which wakes up to Hot Jilebi and soft Poha/

likha hai na :|

thanks dear :) jaroor karo

Ratzzz said...

@R's mom

hey!!! welcome on board... been reading your blog for sometime... love R's antics :P

thanks :)

Ratzzz said...

@Vasu

hahahahahhaha. nee kelen :P

zephyr said...

It is yummy, isn't it? I made it some days back when the L&M wanted 'something' to noruks. I make it the Maharashtrian 'upvas layak' method -- no onions, but with crunchy roasted peanut coarsely powdered. Tastes yum.

Ratzzz said...

@Zephyr,

yay... and how did appa like it?? i used to eat only those "fariyali" thingies but this recipe said onion, so added it :D

rantravereflect/ jane said...

it's weird but someone just told me abt these street food havens, n we dun have them in chennai :
im gonna try teh sago vada :D YUMMALICEOUS post..

Ratzzz said...

@Jane

but we do have street food haven in chennai... you wanna catch up some time? i ll introduce u to our own street food haven aka mint street

enchantinganki said...

oops , my mistake!! I know u wont forget poha-jalebi...!! poha - jalebi misses u...

Senthil said...

Was this written with some food in hand and mouth??? Yummy

Aparna (Life Takes) said...

i sm trying out ur receipe now!


all this food talk made me so hungry!