Thru my periscope....

The Eternal Indore


History: Some things I know about this place’s history is that at some point it was ruled by Queen Ahilyabhai Holkar. The remains of their two century old palace still stand in the main square i.e. Rajwada. Don’t curse me for not giving the picture of Indore’s history...u can as well Google it…

People: the only thing I find funny with Indori people is the way they stare at me when I go out single… As I assume they are so used to their youth roaming as couples/gangs that they find me strange… Otherwise, Indori people are as of same species as anywhere else.

Housing: Why am I even writing on this? Oh ya coz I am house hunting for past two weeks… and with no luck… with my shoe string budget, I can hardly get a decent place to live in this city, where real estate business is blooming like a rainy day mushroom…

Transport: ok the City buses are manageable, as they are from TATAs… but the local buses and tempos are real laugh... u can see a bus packed with twice its capacity and still the conductor shouting “kaha jana hai ”(wr do u want to go?) to the bystanders and “Kisko Kisko” (adjust adjust) to the already compressed passengers… What I find funnier is the conductors shouting “Jaane Do (Leave Space/ Let us go)” to the other commuters; it sounds more like “Jaan Do (Give your life)”... Spellos...he he he

Safety: Me with hutch puppy face… I tot Indore was lot safer… My opinion was taken; rolled and thrown out of window last weekend… 2 idiots freaked me out when I was on d way back to home at around 11 in the evening…. Thanks the shops are open till 1 – 2 am... or else, I am getting creeps even while thinking about it…

Weather: Man… back home I never had this much range of Weather… the year starts with heavy winter which turns into pleasant summer around February end and marches as scorching summer till Mid-June.. Then the rain starts... It extends for two odd months after which u get a surprisingly pleasant spring... the year ends with heaviest winter…

Hang-outs/Shopping : As of now, you have a couple of malls and Cineplex’s… ya you have quite some pubs, café and bakeries… the popular one’s are Café coffee day, Khurana’s, Buddy’s, Apna, Jain etc… Treasure Island is the most sought after mall... u also have a city museum and its own chidiyaghaar (zoo) which has the most footfall during weekends… you got a couple of parks too like Meghdhoot, Nehru Park, etc… Rajwada, the erstwhile city centre is now a presently a busy Shopping place with each street displaying its own unique wares… you got Kapada market, Kothari market, Bada and Chota Sarafa Market, Siyaganj, Jail Road, Marothia Bazar, Khajuri Bazar etc…

Food: Here Comes the Ultimate… Indori People are born to eat, eat and what eat…. Sarafa (Jewellery market, near Rajwada and Chappan Dukan (56 shops) are the two well known gourmet hangouts of the city. Some snacks that will make you go ga-ga are Daal Bafle, Poha-Jalebi, Sabudane-ki-Khichdi ,Khaman, Kachori - 'aloo kachori', 'daal kachori', 'Dahi Chat', 'Tokri Chat', 'Baked Samosa', 'mathri' 'Gajak','Bhutte ka kis', 'Garadu', 'Rabri', 'aalo tikiya',Mithe Tukade, Shikanji, Dhania-Chivda, Jal-Jira etc… No wonder my stomach always remains in an unrecoverable upset condition…

2 comments:

enchantinganki said...

i love you for this..
for me "indore" is THE BEST..
I am glad, that u found it nice..
I wish you to come back..

Anonymous said...

On our last visit to India my family visited one of these places, I beleive it was 56 shops. We loved Garadu,various chats. Bhutte ka kis was deliciously sweet spicy tangy and savory.They also make huge Jalebi which they call 'Jaleba'.What we enjoyed most was the atmosphere. All this jam packed crowd was out there just for late evening snacks,after dinner.