Me and my independence day...

scurrying along the routine tunnel of daily work, i stop to look at the Flag post erected for the celebration tommorrow... i smile on the various memories linked to Independence Day, most of them not so patriotic...

Tomm is d day responsible for my never dying love for Motichur Laddu's.. I was in my kindergarten then... mom rushed me and my bro to school real early than the usual... d naughty hyperactive kid i was, i kept fidgeting thru the whole ceremony... my caretaker at school assuaged me with a Laddu... i ended up eating 5 more by the end of the ceremony... We were in Kanpur then.. till date Laddu's remind me of Indepence day & Kanpur and vice versa... ( i still pester ppl who visit Kanpur to get me a pack of Motichur Laddu's.. Of all the things..)

Then later during my school days, i looked forward towards Independence and Republic day, as i got to wear Starch white, crisp uniforms and ribbons... i enjoyed the march past, d pride in my parent's face when i hoarded lot many academic awards and things alike....

Roughly in my Std 7th we were taught a Patriotic song written by our school Music Teacher... It started with "Gunge Gagan Mein, Mehke Pawan mein..." Till date thats d only song i remember from my school days.. I can also sing that without altering the tune.. aww, believe me...

I also learnt Bamboo Dancing for Independence day celebrations once... we started practising months ahead hurting our ankles and the hands of the guys banging the Bamboo's together... It was a greatest moment for all us kids, when we performed the dance before the whole school and our parents... the envious stares we got from the girls not selected for the performance and praise from close friends made up our day...

sometime later, Independence day got related to Reruns of so called patriotic movies like Roja, Border etc, to hard earned off from college, to relaxed dinners consisting of Tiranga Cocktail's and Tricolor Triple ripple ice-creams....

Now.. Aug 15th is one of those hard to get 7 yearly holidays of mine... last year we ended up going on a company picnic... haven't planned anything for tomm yet, but certainly won't have tricolored flag hoisting or sweet distributions.... But i 'll certainly buy a flag from that roadside vendor who magically appears around this year...


Vande Mataram... or shud that be Jai Hind...

No comments: